A proposal for a $100 million-plus apartment complex along Miller Road just east of Scottsdale Stadium and the San Francisco Giants training complex has some residents complaining that it will be too tall and too big for the property and their neighborhood.
Scottsdale-based Continental Group wants to build Bristol Stadium Lofts, which would tentatively include 224 units with nine stories closest to the stadium and descending to five stories on the Miller side. The complex would be built on a 1.7-acre lot west of Miller and north of Osborn Road. There are four vacant buildings there now.
The complex could include three levels of underground parking with more than 370 parking spaces. The only entrance to underground parking would be on Miller.
Continental Group's proposal is seeking a building-height increase and other amendments to existing development standards under the city's downtown infill-incentive district and plan. The developer already has scaled back the maximum height from 125 feet to 85 feet after speaking with residents and city planners.
"The property as it now stands needs to be redeveloped -- it's past its prime," said Terry O'Neill, project manager. "You have (Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn Medical Center) expanding with the new tower going up, and there is a need for rental accommodation for Scottsdale and especially for the new employees of the hospital."
"We think that the neighborhood has fallen into a dilapidated state, and it's time to make a change," said John Lupypciw, Continental Group's CEO. "We don't need a larger parcel to develop this fabulous opportunity. It's about the design and how you structure to fit the property."
The developer met with more than 20 residents at the site recently to explain the plans and receive input. Several residents said they like the concept and design, but it's just too big for this
by Edward Gately The Arizona Republic Dec. 9, 2011 02:13 PM
Lofts planned near stadium
Reuters: Business News
National Commercial Real Estate News From CoStar Group
Latest stock market news from Wall Street - CNNMoney.com
- ► 2017 (76)
- ► 2016 (145)
- ► 2015 (146)
- ► 2014 (102)
- ► 2013 (395)
- ► 2012 (392)
- SEC charges ex-Fannie, Freddie CEOs with fraud - B...
- Monthly median Scottsdale home prices are 'encoura...
- Valley rises in economic rankings - USATODAY.com
- Maricopa County foreclosures improved in November
- Mountain Shadows Resort owner will sell property t...
- Development fees revised
- Lofts planned near stadium
- After drop, home prices on the rise in Valley
- Housing plat OK'd for proving-ground land - USATOD...
- Scottsdale buys nearly 2,000 acres for Sonoran Pre...
- U.S. household wealth takes biggest hit since 2008...
- Late Arizona mortgage loans may fall in 2012
- Scottsdale infill projects to begin in 2012
- Scottsdale City Council rejects airpark apartment ...
- November debt filings in Phoenix area hit 3-year l...
- Mortgage battle vs. bank gets new ally - USATODAY....
- Apartment investment firm to target Phoenix in 201...
- Who exactly are the wealthiest 1%? Study takes a l...
- Ex-McCain home fetches $1.8 mil in short sale
- Housing is in last phase of 'bubble,' expert says
- 15 indicted in elaborate Ariz. telemarketing fraud...
- Innovations help Desert Ridge Marketplace in north...
- New SkySong leases increase occupancy to over 90 p...
- Vestar forming fund to purchase retail real-estate...
- Real estate dominated Valley business in the 90s
- Asian stocks soar on joint central bank action | C...
- ▼ December (26)