Scottsdale's housing market is showing improvement, with median home prices up 13 percent in June over last year and a drop in investor flips, short sales and pre-foreclosure deals.
Prices were up year-over-year in five of the six Northeast Valley communities, with increases ranging from 18.7 percent in Cave Creek on 87 sales to 39 percent in Paradise Valley on 42 sales, according to the latest monthly report from the Arizona State University Center for Real Estate Theory and Practice.
Fountain Hills showed an 11 percent dip in median price to $320,000 on 58 sales.
It has not helped that the number of short sales and pre-foreclosures in the town doubled to 12 in June and investor flips doubled to four.
Scottsdale reported 85 short sales and pre-foreclosures in June, a 13 percent decline. That runs counter to the greater Phoenix market, which saw distressed sales up 8 percent.
Scottsdale also showed a steep decline in bank-owned homes from 79 last June to 31 this year, according to the report with data compiled by the Information Market LLC of Glendale.
"The continued imbalance between high demand and low supply remains the main story for the greater Phoenix residential market," the report said. "After a strong move upward during the spring, prices remained relatively flat during June, as predicted last month. We expect to report something similar next month."
The number of home sales in Scottsdale dipped 12 percent in June to 561 deals.
Scottsdale's price per square foot for homes was $183.13, up 6.5 percent, and significantly higher than the overall market average of $98.11.
The condominium and townhouse median price of $90,000 in the overall market was up 32 percent from a year ago.
Scottsdale's median price for condos of $142,000 on 281 sales was up 13.6 percent.
By Peter Corbett, The Republic|azcentral.com Aug 18, 2012
Home prices up in 5 areas - USATODAY.com
Reuters: Business News
National Commercial Real Estate News From CoStar Group
Latest stock market news from Wall Street - CNNMoney.com
- ► 2016 (145)
- ► 2015 (146)
- ► 2014 (102)
- ► 2013 (395)
- Last days of the Borgata
- LifeLock reveals finances pre-IPO
- Home prices rose in July in 20 major US cities
- Radar Logic: Home Prices Hit Peak in July, Distres...
- 34,000 in Ariz. get mortgage aid
- Phoenix-based Vestar buys Calif. retail center for...
- Phoenix-area rental homes a red-hot commodity
- Home-related sales through the roof
- New US home sales edged down 0.3% in August
- Attorney General sets 3-year foreclosure plan for ...
- Top 10 things to know about Social Security
- Understanding Social Security benefits
- Maricopa County homeowners likely to see property-...
- Reagor: Building of homes slows a bit
- At 40, McCormick Ranch still desirable place to li...
- Fountain Hills mulls giving new life to avenue
- Peoria entertainment/hotel plan closer to reality
- Residential lot coverage debated in Arcadia
- Arizonans may not feel closure of local banks
- Proposed Scottsdale condo plan gains height, densi...
- Luxury retirement facility's sales rise
- Audit: Maricopa County housing-agency woes continu...
- Foreclosure starts fell on annual basis in August ...
- Housing prices up in most NE Valley communities
- Housing key part of SkySong's 'secret sauce'
- Valley in top 10 in US for foreign investors
- New tax on home sales is overblown rumor
- Home construction on uptick in Scottsdale
- Building set for approval - USATODAY.com
- Furnishings firm takes over ex-nightclub site
- The market: Views from the trenches
- City closer to Waterfront apartment-plan OK
- Scottsdale council approves permits for downtown b...
- Metro Phoenix a seller's (and landlord's) market
- Scottsdale home prices up 9.26 percent over a year...
- Valley bankruptcies keep plummeting
- IRS pays Swiss ex-banker, whistleblower $104 milli...
- Baby Boomers have many options for retirement plan...
- Proposed condo plan gains height, density
- Cottonwoods considers adding assisted living
- Scottsdale council approves contentious Echo at Wi...
- Phoenix-area home-price dip called a 'natural reac...
- City Planning Commission draws criticism
- US Home Prices Rise in July by Most in 6 Years - D...
- 2 large Phoenix warehouses being built
- City expands affordable housing - USATODAY.com
- Entertainment hub progresses - USATODAY.com
- City hopes Chandler site will be revitalized - USA...
- PV commission member resigns over resort redevelop...
- Top 5 lenders: $500M spent in Ariz. - USATODAY.com...
- 6,900 Scottsdale apartments in pipeline
- Home prices notch first 12-month gain since 2010 -...
- Advice for Arizonans on brink of foreclosure
- New-home sales rise to match 2-year high - CBS New...
- Beach-club complex votes on permits, licenses are ...
- US home sales rose 2.3 percent, sign of recovery
- Toll Brothers Posts Strong Growth - WSJ.com
- A challenge to finish preserve - USATODAY.com
- Valley agent did well by focusing on SHORT SALES -...
- New Mountain Shadows resort plan consolidates buil...
- ARMLS buys researcher
- Mesa senior-living complex will be based on Tempe ...
- Home prices up in 5 areas - USATODAY.com
- Newest numbers don't cast 'shadow'
- Run-up in home prices slows - USATODAY.com
- Fannie Mae posts $2.2B net gain for Q2 - Yahoo! Fi...
- Land purchase for theater expected to finalized so...
- ASU's SkySong will add residential space
- Reagor: New-home market projections promising
- 6 Phoenix-area apartment communities sold
- Fannie and Freddie principal cuts barred - USATODA...
- Phoenix expedites building process
- Plan for luxury homes at resort stirs controversy
- Mystery bidder gets 275 homes - USATODAY.com
- Meritage earnings rise - USATODAY.com
- Mesa minister gets maximum sentence in fraud
- Split up banks, says builder of Citigroup - USATOD...
- New home sales fall to 5-month low in June – USATO...
- GOP rips Geithner about LIBOR - USATODAY.com
- Historic homes at risk after they're foreclosed
- 100 more lots sold in project - USATODAY.com
- 4333 Building plan still viable, extension sought
- Census estimates: Phoenix remains sixth-largest ci...
- SIGNS OF HEALTH - USATODAY.com
- Subdivision is proposed - USATODAY.com
- Reagor: Home-listing group game for some fun
- After 6 years, Scottsdale is settling state-land c...
- Foreclosure Crisis Hits Older Americans Hard - US ...
- Government program to help avoid foreclosure
- Property-tax bills may rise in Paradise Valley sch...
- Construction, housing sectors face challenges
- ▼ September (91)
- ► 2011 (704)