Mortgage And Real Estate News

Friday, July 8, 2011

Q&A on eligibility for homeowner aid

An Arizona Housing Department program called Save Our Home AZ gives qualified homeowners cash assistance to make their mortgage payments if they are unemployed or underemployed.

The program uses $36 million of a Treasury Department allocation given to states suffering the most from the real-estate crash.

Homeowners can qualify for up to $2,000 a month to pay their mortgages for as long as 24 months.

But not enough Arizona homeowners know about the program or are applying. Fewer than 100 of the state's homeowners have received the aid so far.

The Arizona Republic and 12 News held an online and call-in session last week to try to get the word out to those struggling to avoid foreclosure.

Here are some questions from homeowners and answers from housing counselors:

Question: I have been unemployed since August 2010 and have been using my savings to pay bills and mortgage. Can I get help before my life savings are gone? I am current on my mortgage and don't want to lose my house to foreclosure.

Answer: You should go to azhousing.gov and apply. The qualifications of the program have been changing, so you may now be eligible.

Q: I have applied for disability due to an illness and have not been approved yet. I am five months behind on my mortgage. Would I qualify for this program?

A: Unfortunately, you would not qualify. But do call the foreclosure hotline at 877-448-1211.

Q: I did not qualify for unemployment because the non-profit I worked for did not pay into the system. I have been unemployed for over a year. Can I qualify? My home is not in foreclosure yet, but I am headed there.

A: You are definitely eligible to apply. Please go to azhousing.gov and complete the self-assessment.

Q: My husband lost his job, so we sold our rental property and have some money in the bank. But it's going very fast just to pay the bills on the house we live in.

A: Sounds like you are eligible. Go to azhousing .gov and fill out the self-assessment.

Q: Hi. I went to azhousing.gov and did a qualification test. It said I was not qualified. I'm the only person in my household and unemployed.

A: Go back and read each question carefully and fill it out again, please.

Q: Do I qualify if I am in Chapter 13 bankruptcy?

A: Your lender or servicer may not allow you to receive the help. But apply at azhousing.gov anyway.

Q: I just took the quiz. I am unemployed as of Friday. Previously, I made less than $1,500 a month with a $1,050 mortgage payment plus bills. We are current on most of our bills and mortgage.

A: The program dictates all mortgage payments must be two months past due. And you must apply for unemployment benefits.

Q: I tried the self-assessment test. The results said I might not qualify. I am not sure why. I do not have a job and my mortgage is current.

A: It's because you are current on your mortgage. The program requires a borrower to be behind on at least two mortgage payments.

Q: I have been unemployed since December. Am I eligible? I finally received a loan modification in December after trying for two years.

A: Yes, you are eligible. Go to azhousing.gov, click on foreclosure sign and take the self-assessment.

Q: I've been unemployed for six months but have been able to make mortgage payments because of severance pay and savings. But now, I am out of severance, and I only have four months of savings left before losing my house. Please help me.

A: You must first apply for unemployment benefits, and you can't be current on your mortgage. Housing counselors say to go to azhousing.gov, click on the foreclosure sign

by Catherine Reagor The Arizona Republic Jul. 6, 2011 12:00 AM



Q&A on eligibility for homeowner aid

Real Estate News

Reuters: Business News

National Commercial Real Estate News From CoStar Group

Latest stock market news from Wall Street - CNNMoney.com

Archive

Recent Comments